Wike Orders Probe Of Port Harcourt Doctors’ Quarters’ Fire | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

News, Slider

Wike Orders Probe Of Port Harcourt Doctors’ Quarters’ Fire

Posted: Dec 27, 2015 at 10:13 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)


By Daniel Abia, P/Harcourt

The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, has sympathised with doctors and management of the Braithwaite Memorial Hospital, Port Harcourt over the fire incident which gutted the Doctor’s quarters of the hospital at 3 pm on Sunday.

The governor has also announced  the  setting  up  of a Panel of  Inquiry  to  establish  the  immediate  and remote causes of the inferno.

Disaster struck on Sunday as fire razed a two-storey building housing medical staff of the Braithwaite Memorial Hospital in Port Harcourt, Rivers state capital.

The fire, it was learned started from the topmost floor of the two-storey quarters at about 3pm and completely damaged that floor and property worth millions of naira.

Wike  who got to the Doctor’s Quarters to supervise efforts of  fire fighters  to put out the inferno, directed that all the five doctors and Permanent  Secretary,  Ministry of  Health  residing at the facility be immediately  relocated to Government  Guest Houses  with  their families.

The governor said: “I want to sympathise with the doctors affected by this fire incident.  We thank God that no life was lost.

“However, I have directed the Health Commissioner to set up a Panel of Inquiry to find out what led to the fire. If it is as a result of negligence, those involved will be sanctioned. We must endeavour to protect Government property at all times “.

Wike commended fire fighters from the State Fire Service, Shell and NPA who fought the inferno and prevented it from spreading. He announced that the State Government will rebuild the burnt quarters.

Wike was accompanied to the Hospital by the State Head of Civil Service, Rufus  Godwins and Commissioner  for  Health, Dr Odagme Theophilus.

Also in Ozubuko estate, a similar dastardly incident was averted on Sunday afternoon when three youths set fire on refuse dump causing severe panic within the vicinity. It took the effort of some residents to battle with the raging fire before it was eventually put off.