Why 1.4m North-East Families Will Get N17,000 Each | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

Why 1.4m North-East Families Will Get N17,000 Each

Posted: May 9, 2016 at 2:44 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)




The World Food Programme (WFP) in 2016 will see that at least 500,000 families displaced by the over six years terrorism campaign of Boko Haram will get N17,000 each, with emphasis on “the most vulnerable couples, widows and those who have passed through great hardship as a result of the insurgency,” an official said at the weekend.

The WFP, a project of the United Nations, addresses hunger and promotes food security across the globe, especially in crises situations and conflict regions.

Ahmed Satomi, chairman of the Borno State Emergency Agency, said on Sunday in Maiduguri, that 35,000 households had so far benefited.

He said that the agency planned to reach out to 1.4 million Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) taking refuge in other communities.

“Apart from our IDPs in the 28 camps, we also have about a million of them taking refuge in host communities of Jere and Maiduguri Metropolitan Council.

“The token would be given to them to encourage them to start up something that would enable them cater for their families to alleviate their suffering,” he said.

Mr. Satomi also spoke of the procedure for giving out the money: “We will go to each and every of these households to obtain their bio-metric data and head count.

“We will also try to see how we can empower them on basic skills acquisition as well as entrepreneurship, which will go a long way in assisting the beneficiaries.

“So far, we have started with Gwange 1, 2 and 3, Meri and Shettimari areas in the state capital,” he said.

He added that the state government would soon start distributing food items to the IDPs in their host communities.