Tinubu vs AIT: Court Adjourns Case Till June 30 | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Tinubu vs AIT: Court Adjourns Case Till June 30

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 6:26 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

An Ikeja High Court in Lagos on Wednesday adjourned a N150 billion libel suit filed by former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu, against DAAR Communications Plc, parent company of Africa Independent Television (AIT), till June 30.

Presiding judge, Iyabo Akinkugbe, adjourned the case to enable Tinubu’s lawyers respond to the counter-claim filed by AIT.

The ex-governor had instituted the suit against AIT for broadcasting a documentary, “The Lion of Bourdilion”, which started airing on March 1, was libelous and aimed at tarnishing his image.

At the resumption of proceedings on Wednesday, AIT’s counsel, Jeffery Kadiri, informed the court that the defendant had filed a counter-claim that had been served on the claimant.

Tinubu’s counsel, Ayodele Adedipe, said the process was served on the claimant two days before the appearance in court, so he would need more time to respond.

Adedipe asked for an adjournment and the judge agreed to his request.

In the counter-claim, AIT’s emeritus chairman, Raymond Dokpesi, averred that Tinubu’s claim was founded on non-existing ground, because the said documentary was not entitled “The Lion of Bourdilion,” but “Unmasking the Real Tinubu”.

Dokpesi said AIT, as a member of the fourth estate of the realm, was empowered by Section 22 of the Constitution to hold those in government accountable and responsible to the people of Nigeria.

He further averred that the contents of the documentary were facts, which had been in the public domain for over two decades.