41 Killed As Terrorists Hit France, Kuwait, Tunisia | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

News, Slider

41 Killed As Terrorists Hit France, Kuwait, Tunisia

Posted: Jun 26, 2015 at 2:08 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

•ISIS Suicide Attackers Kill 13 At Kuwait Shiite Mosque •Gunmen Mow Down 27 In Two Tunisian Tourist Hotels •Explosion Rocks French Factory, One Killed

By Ejikeme Omenazu, Lagos

(With Agency Reports)

A man left with bloodied head after the terrorist  attack on a Shiite mosque in Kuwait today

A man left with bloodied head after the terrorist attack on a Shiite mosque in Kuwait today

THE world was shocked to the marrows on Friday on June 26, 2015 when terrorists hit France, Tunisia and Kuwait, recording over 40 deaths, while hundreds were feared injured.

It all started around 10.am when an explosion rocked an American factory in France. Soon, a decapitated body war retrieved by security agents, while the head was found hanging at the factory gate, with Arabic inscriptions.

French President, Francois Hollande, had to cut short his stay at the ongoing European Union Summit in Brussels to rush home, after issuing a statement attributing the explosion to terror attack.

As the France attack was simmering, gunmen hit two tourist hotels, killing not fewer than 27 people.

Almost at the same time, ISIS terror group hit at a Shiite mosque in Kuwait, killing 13.

According to agency sources monitored in Lagos, French President, Francois Hollande, has confirmed that the Friday June 26, 2015 morning attack on a factory near Lyon in south-east France was indeed a terror attack.

Hollande spoke in Brussels where he was attending a European Union summit. He was billed to return to his country on Friday afternoon.

The attack left one dead and several people wounded, although all the workers at the factory had been accounted for, leaving the suspicion of terror attack.

The headless body of the dead had been found while the severed head was found hanging on the gate of the factory, with some Arabic inscriptions.

Experts were said to be investigating the inscriptions to see if it has a link with the ISIS terror group.

The attackers seemed to have capitalised on an ongoing Taxi protests against Uber, a US transport company which charges lower fares, to launch the attack on France.

France has already ordered a clampdown on Uber, following the protests by French taxi operators.

The factory, which was hit by the terrorists on Friday morning, is owned by Air Products, a US company, headquartered in Pennsylvania.

The company supplies gases, chemicals and equipment for products ranging from TVs and mobile phones to sports cars and running shoes.

Air Products was founded in 1940 and has grown to be the 276th largest company in the US with $10.4billion of global sales last year. It employs more than 20,000 people in 50 countries.

Its French subsidiary was created in 1990 and it employs 400 people in the country across a number of sites.

It is the third largest producer of atmospheric gases in France with over 15 per cent of national production.

In his statement, Hollande confirmed that the attack happened just before 10.am local time on Friday June 26, 2015, when two suspects drove into the factory. He said they attacked the factory “using gas canisters”.

Here’s a translation of what he said:

“We have no doubt the attack was intended to blow up the building. The attack bears the hallmarks of a terrorist attack. A decapitated body was found with inscriptions written on it. There was one dead and two injured. The Interior Minister went to the scene immediately. The suspect who carried out this attack was arrested and identified.”

He did not give any details about the second attacker.

Speaking in Brussels, Hollande said fellow European leaders had all expressed their solidarity with France after the attacks. He confirmed he was due to head back to Paris after the statement.

Hollande said two attackers drove into the factory. “The attack bears the hallmarks of a terrorist attack,” he said.

He confirmed that a body was found at the scene with inscriptions on it. Two others were injured. The attackers were trying to blow up the plant, Hollande said.

Meanwhile, one person was arrested and has been identified, he said.

Hollande would return home early from the EU summit, an official had confirmed to AFP.

“He will return early this afternoon and is in constant contact with interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve and the security services,” the official said, adding that he would make a statement to the press in Brussels.

“The president saw the first images of the attack on the 24-news channels with German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, beside him, who was visibly shocked,” an official added.

French officials have, however, suggested that the severed head was brought to the scene, according to media reports.

This was as all the workers at the factory had been accounted for.

Soon after the French attack, the militant group, ISIS, claimed responsibility for a suicide attack on a Shiite mosque in Kuwait that killed 13 people also on Friday June 26, 2015, according a statement posted on social media.

The statement identified the bomber as Abu Suleiman al Muwahed and said the target was a “temple of the rejectionists” – a term used by the Islamist militant group to refer to Shiite Muslims.

Medics said the suicide bombing killed “at least 13 people, while 25 others were hospitalized.”

Kuwaiti parliament member Khalil al-Salih said worshipers were kneeling in prayer when a loud explosion ripped through, damaging the walls and ceiling.

He said a suicide bomber who looked to be under 30 years of age caused the explosion and that he saw several bodies covered in blood on the floor.

As the world was recovering from the news of the French and Kuwait attaks, two hotels in central Tunisia were attacked, with at least nineteen people reportedly killed amid panic at the scene. Two gunmen, armed with a Kalashnikov, reportedly penetrated a private beach area and opened fire on the people.

Unconfirmed sources had initially put the death toll at seven, and 13 injured, including one of the suspected gunners. The other one is on the run.

One of the hotels, a five-star, is the Imperial Marhaba,  according to RIA Novosti citing the Interior Ministry. The ministry’s spokesman said at least seven people were killed.

“It happened about half an hour ago – I heard a bang and I thought it was thunder but it was a clear sky so it obviously wasn’t,” a witness told Sky News.

“I heard sirens going off about 20 minutes ago and everyone came running back from the private hotel beach which is about 400 metres from the hotel. Everyone is a bit clueless about what is happening.”

“We were told to go back to our rooms because there were reports of a bomb,” another witness staying at a hotel near-by also told The Daily Mail.

The hotel is in the tourist complex of Port El Kantaoui, some 10 km off the city of Sousse in central Tunisia.