Suspected Grave Site Causes Confusion In Oredo School | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Niger Delta, Regional News

Suspected Grave Site Causes Confusion In Oredo School

Posted: May 12, 2015 at 12:45 am   /   by   /   comments (0)


By Francis Onoiribbholo



There was pandemonium at Iguodala Primary School in Uhunmwun-Idumwun community, Oredo Local Government area of Edo State, when a suspected grave site was found in one of the classrooms of the school.

The grave site with stains of blood was said to have been discovered by one of the teachers and some pupils at 7.16 a.m. shortly after the morning assembly.

The confused teacher and the pupils were said to have raised the alarm and scampered to safety, drawing the attention of acting Head mistress, who quickly ordered the evacuation of the pupils from Primary 1A.

The Headmistress, Mrs. Georginia Ilongwo, who said she had alerted officers from the Esigie Police Division, described the incident as a shocking discovery that had not been witnessed before in the school.

She also said many parents had prevented their children and wards from going to school the following day due to the fear of contracting an infection.

“When I visited the scene, all the teachers were raising alarm and people around trooped into the school compound to catch a glimpse.

“Thereafter, I called the attention of inspectors from the ministry, NUT chairman, PTA chairman, and the ‘Odionwere’ of the community who told us to call the police.

“When the policemen came they said that they would assess the scene. We were all surprised because since I started teaching here, I have not experienced such things,” the head mistress narrated.

At the time our correspondent visited the scene of the incident, the “grave” looked freshly dug, as it had not been cemented.

A pair of shorts and a t-shirt were also seen on the floor of the classroom.

There were officers from the Esigie Police Division at the scene, some of whom were said to have kept watch from the night before until an excavation was carried out by some cemetery staff from the local government council at about 11.40 a.m.

But the men suspected to be grave diggers were instructed by health officials from the council to stop exhumation, after digging three feet into the ground, saying there was no sign that a corpse had been buried at the site.