PDP Port Harcourt Convention Cancelled | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

PDP Port Harcourt Convention Cancelled

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 at 11:35 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

* NEC In Emergency Meeting
* May Extend Caretaker Committee Tenure By Six Months

?Rotimi Akinwumi

Abuja – The crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) took an ugly turn early Wednesday morning when armed policemen at about 4:00am sealed off all roads leading to the convention venue.
The security operatives who blatantly denied delegates and journalists entry into Sharks Stadium, venue of PDP national convention, said they were acting on order from above.
The convention had come under uncertainty when two conflicting orders were issued by two Federal High Courts on Tuesday on the convention.
A Federal High Court in Port Harcourt ordered the continuation of the convention while a Federal High Court in Abuja presided over by Justice Okon Abang afterwards issued his own order that the convention should not be held.
He also issued an order on the police to ensure that no one is allowed to flout his order.
The police, however, decided to carry out the instructions of the Abuja High Court.
Late Tuesday night, signs of trouble had earlier surfaced at the eve of the convention as the camp of Chief Olabode George, Prof Tunde Adeniran and Chief Raymond Dokpesi had alleged underhand dealings by the convention planning committee headed by Governor Nyesom Wike.
The trio had accused the convention committee of unilaterally doctoring the delegate lists especially those of the South West states and the north with a view to decimating the support base of people who are against the ambition of Jimi Agbaje who is being sponsored by the duo of Governor Ayodele Fayose and Governor Nyesom Wike who ironically is the chairman of the convention planning committee.
Chief George, Dokpesi and Adeniran had planned to hold a press conference Wednesday morning to announce their pull out of the contest in protest before the new development of police sealing off the convention venue.
Following the crisis, an emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the party has been called and its currently ongoing in Port Harcourt.
A dependable source at the venue told Independent in confidence that agenda of the meeting is to extend the life span of the caretaker committee by six months.
It’s not yet clear if Senator Ahmed Makarfi will accept to continue leading the caretaker committee as he has severally expressed his desire to get the convention done with, hand over the party to a legally constituted National Working Committee (NWC) and quit the stage.
The NEC meeting is ongoing as at press time.

More details later…