Ogbe-Ijoh Throne: Court Adjourns Contempt Hearing To November | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Niger Delta

Ogbe-Ijoh Throne: Court Adjourns Contempt Hearing To November

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 12:02 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Emma Arubi

The Ogbe-Ijoh Warri Clan Governing Council of Warri South-West Council Area of Delta State may be facing a contempt charge following the alleged neglect of a court order that restrained it from installing any King pending the determination of the main suit that had been filed at High Court 4 Warri.

At the resumed hearing of the case Wednesday, the Vacation Judge transferred the totality of the matter including the contempt issue to High Court 1 where the case was originally fixed for November, 2015.

However, authorities of the Ogbe-Ijoh Warri Clan Governing Council has described those it said were fomenting trouble on the successful ascendance by HRM Couple M. Oromoni to the throne of the Ogbe-Ijoh kingdom stool as blackmailers and desperately bad losers.

They council also said that the attempt to drag the name of the Delta State Deputy Governor, Barrister Kingsley Otuaro into the matter was intended to tarnish the name of the Deputy Governor, noting that the process of selection and ascension to the throne “was long concluded in accordance with the law and gazette regulating succession to the throne of the Amakosu, Pere of Ogbe-Ijoh Warri Kingdom even before the emergence of Deacon Kingsley Otuaro as Deputy Governor.”

In a statement signed by the Chairman and Secretary of Ogbe-Ijoh Warri Clan Governing Council, Hon. Lucky Oromoni and Mr. Elvis Wurusibewei respectively, they noted that  there was an undertaking by the three contestants to the throne viz; Couple M. Oromoni, David N. Pere and Johnny Aribogha to abide by the outcome of the  selection/succession process. The council said that at the end and in compliance with the agreement, David Pere immediately congratulated Couple Oromoni who emerged the winner with eight votes to defeat the others with two votes each.

While exonerating the Deputy Governor of interference in the internal matter of Ogbe-Ijoh kingdom, the Governing council stated that the allegations against the Deputy governor are baseless, frivolous and without any iota of truth, saying that he is innocent and the public should disregard all protest by Johnny Aribogha and his cohorts. They also called on the security agencies to investigate those behind the vexatious petitions and bring them to justice to serve as deterrent to others.

“We implore the public to disregard all protests and senseless petitions of Mr. Johnny Aribogha and his cohorts. The petition against the Deputy Governor is a strategy to blackmail the government of Delta State”, the statement added.

The Ijaw Youth Council, Ogbe-Ijoh chapter in their statement on the matter called on the various signatories to the petitions and publications in the Vanguard and The Nation newspapers to tender an unreserved apology to the office of the Deputy Governor and appealed to the warring parties to sheath their sword and work for the overall interest of the kingdom by coming together with the newly crowned monarch, HRM Couple Oromoni to work for peace, growth and development of the kingdom.

In the statement signed by Comrade Arerebo Liberty and Secretary, Victor Akemotubo they described the publications and allegations against the Deputy Governor, Kingsley Otuaro as an insult on a true Ijaw son.

But Chief Johnny Aribogha in a telephone interview with Daily Independent insisted that the matter was still in the court and that the court had restrained the kingdom from installing any King pending the determination of the main suit.