Nigeria Evacuates Citizens In Yemen | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Nigeria Evacuates Citizens In Yemen

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 9:21 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), on Monday, received the first batch of Nigerians in Yemen as the Federal Government commenced the evacuation of its citizens from the crisis-ridden country.

Director-General, NEMA, Muhammad Sani-Sidi, said on Wednesday that the exercise was in line with government’s directive to immediately evacuate Nigerians stranded in Yemen.

The DG, represented by Navy Captain Michael Igwe, Head, Mission Control Centre, NEMA, received the returnees at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

Igwe explained that the operation was ongoing as the government, alongside its embassy in Saudi Arabia, was working in collaboration with the government of Saudi Arabia to ensure the safe return of Nigerians.

“Yemen is at war and the Federal Government directed that Nigerians stranded in Yemen should be evacuated and there are about 58 Nigerians that are stranded there.

“However, our Embassy in Saudi Arabia, which we are coordinating with, has been able to get three Nigerians out.

“They complained to us sometime ago that the border with Yemen was closed last week so they are finding it very difficult to bring out the Nigerians, however, they are assuring us that within the next one week, they would be able to get as many Nigerians to Jeddah as possible,” he said.

Igwe noted that the returnees had undergone the preliminary stages of their resettlement as they have been tested by the ports health authorities and have been profiled and registered in the data base.

He alsostressed that the Nigerian government would continue to assist them until they were fully settled in with a proper means of livelihood.

Receiving the returnees, the liaison officers of Kebbi, Kaduna and Adamawa states, where the returnees hail from, said arrangements have been made for them to reunite with their families.