MEND Accepts Clark To Head Dialogue With FG, Disbands Aaron Team | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

MEND Accepts Clark To Head Dialogue With FG, Disbands Aaron Team

Posted: Aug 29, 2016 at 4:36 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has disbanded its Aaron Team 2 dialogue and peace initiative, inaugurated on June 12, 2016, with Mr. Odein Ajumogobia (SAN) as head.

This was disclosed in a statement at the weekend.

The disbandment was meant to pave the way for a fresh effort at ensuring peace in the Niger Delta region, code-named “Operation Moses,” which has also been suspended.

According to the statement by MEND, Aaron Team 2 was disbanded because the group believed there was a need for the Niger Delta region to have a single voice. This, MEND explained, informed its decision to work with Chief Edwin K. Clark, the Ijaw national leader.

“We have always advocated that the Niger Delta region must speak with a single voice under a single umbrella body, otherwise the much sought-after peace and development shall elude the region, again,” MEND said.

The group has nominated Ledum Mitee, Ogoni leader, Ibanga Isine, journalist, and Timipa Okponipere, lawyer, to work with Clark and others in the dialogue with the federal government on the solutions to the problems of the region.

“We have so far been able to secure a number of concessions, some of which include but are not limited to the release of political prisoners. We expect that Chief Clark and his team shall follow through with the rest of the dialogue and peace process,” MEND said.