Lassa Fever: Lagos Confirms One Dead, To Be Buried Today | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Lassa Fever: Lagos Confirms One Dead, To Be Buried Today

Posted: Jan 23, 2016 at 10:24 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

The Lagos State government yesterday confirmed death of one of the three confirmed cases of Lassa Fever in the state. Giving update in Lagos, the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris said the deceased would be buried  today, noting that the State has recorded 14 suspected cases of Lassa Fever as at January 21. He also disclosed that the Ministry has shortlisted 447 contacts of the confirmed cases and 438 (98 per cent) of the contacts who are currently being monitored.

Idris who was giving update on the Lassa Fever outbreak in the state along with the Lagos State Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Babatunde Adejare, said: “Three of the suspected cases were confirmed positive of Lasssa Fever. One case was confirmed on January 15 and two cases were confirmed on January 18. Eight suspected cases tested negative, while we are awaiting results for the remaining three suspected cases.”

The Commissioner stated  that the deceased was a 51-year-old man who lived in Ilasan,  Lekki and returned from Edo where he attended a wedding ceremony on December 28, last year. According to Idris, the late patient was initially admitted at Divine Medical Centre in Ikoyi on January 12, 2016 and referred to Mainland Hospital Yaba early January 18, 2016 and later died at 2pm same day before the result of the laboratory test that confirmed him positive of Lassa Fever was received.

He said: “The dead victim will be buried today after due consultation with the family and the body has been kept in the morgue in leak proof body bag.” Giving breakdown of the Lassa Fever cases in Lagos, he said the first confirmed case was at Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) and  listed the contact line  as follows; Ifako Ijaiye; 100, Mushin; 18, Alimosho; 42 and  Kosofe;  one  with a sub-total of 160.

Further giving breakdown, he added that contacts being monitored are as follows; Ifako Ijaiye- 91; Mushin – 18, Alimosho- 42; Kosofe- 1, with a sub-Total of 151 For case  two at  Mainland General Hospital, the  contacts line listed  is Eti-Osa- 66 and the contact line being monitored is at Eti-Osa- 66, with a sub- Total: 66. “Case three, Mainland General Hospital, the contact line listed is at Amuwo: 220 and the contact being monitored is at Amuwo: 220, Sub-Total: 220. The total figure for both contacts line listed is 447 and contacts being monitored is put at 438.” he added.

The health Commissioner also stated that the Ministry has established an Emergency Operations Centre( EOC) and holds a daily briefing meeting at 6pm in the conference room of the ministry.