Lagos Handles 4,035 Rapes, Child Abuse Cases In One Year | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

Lagos Handles 4,035 Rapes, Child Abuse Cases In One Year

sex worker
Posted: May 31, 2016 at 7:03 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)



Mr. Adeniji Kazeem, the Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, on Tuesday said the state in the last one year handled 4,035 cases ranging from rape, child abuse, sexual assault, sexual abuse, defilement, divorce, matrimonial issues, child’s custody and maintenance.

Kazeem said the state government would not shy away from prosecuting perpetrators of domestic violence crime no matter how highly placed in the society.

He disclosed this in Alausa, Ikeja, while speaking on the activities of the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team (DSVRT) in the last one year.

The attorney general said government, through the agency, handled 192 cases.

He stated that out of the 192 cases, the government handled 89 domestic violence cases, 62 defilement cases, 18 rape cases, six attempted rape, 10 child neglect and seven child abuse cases, while 92 cases were still in court.

Kazeem said that the government under the administration of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has a zero tolerance for issues relating to domestic violence and child abuse and would not relent until the scourge is reduced to the barest minimum.

He said agencies of government, including DSVRT, Office of Public Defender (OPD) and the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP), among others, have been mandated to ensure that while perpetrators of the act are brought to justice, victims of domestic violence are given succour towards their rehabilitation.

“As regards provision of shelter for victims, the Ministries of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation and Youth and Social Development as well as strategic partners NGOs have played key roles in ensuring that victims were evacuated to a safer environment, shelter or home.

“All the victims of sexual assault received medical attention from Mirabel Centre and State Hospitals, and so far, 50 of such cases were charged to court,” he said.

He said the essence of the press briefing today besides giving account of efforts of the state government in the one year, was also a means to send a strong message across that the government would not relent until the scourge is stamped out.