Lagos Assembly May Clash With Ambode Over Proposed Cabinet Members | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Lagos Assembly May Clash With Ambode Over Proposed Cabinet Members

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 12:06 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

 Raises 15-Man Panel • House ‘II Not Allow ‘Take A Bow And Go’ Syndrome, Says Lawmaker

By Tunde Opeseitan, Lagos

Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly on Monday resolved to thoroughly screen the proposed cabinet members forwarded to the House for approval by the state governor, Akinwunmi Ambode.

This, it was gathered, was informed by the criticisms that greeted many of the names on the would-be cabinet members list, which took the governor almost four months to compile.

In a move that was apparently seen as a preparation for an imminent clash with the governor, the House has thus set-up a 15 man panel to screen the nominees for the post of commissioners and special advisers.

This is contrary to the feelers prior to sitting on Tuesday 29th September that the nominees would be screened by the Assembly during plenary, and this is regarded as a novel idea by observers.

Ambode had last week sent the name of 23 nominees for the post of commissioners and 14 for the post of special advisers.

Members of the screening committee, as announced by the Speaker, Mudashiru Obasa during plenary, include the Deputy Speaker of the House, Wasiu Sanni Eshinlokun, who will serve as the Chairman.

Others are Olumuyiwa Wahab Jimoh, Rotimi Abiru, Omotayo Oduntan, Hakeem Bello, Victor Segun Akande, Lanre Ogunyemi, Yinka Ogundimu, Bisi Yusuf, Segun Olulade, Saka Fafunmi, Oladele Adekanye, Folajimi Mohammed, Rotimi Olowo and Olanrewaju Ibraheem Layode

This development came as a shock to many observers as it had been stated in the press release from the Governor’s office containing the list of the nominees last week that the nominees would be sworn-in on Monday 5th October, 2015 as the House adjourned to Tuesday 13th October, when the committee is expected to submit its report.

A member of the committee, Olulade representing Epe II, disclosed to newsmen at the end of plenary that the decision of the House to set up a committee was actually aimed at thoroughly screening the nominees to avoid a situation whereby they would be asked to take a bow and go.

When asked about what informed the committee since it was the first time such was happening in the history of the House, Olulade said: “I think it will give the House the opportunity to do a proper screening.

“The committee was not set up for the whole House not to be able to do the screening but the adhoc committee will have the opportunity of going deeper in the screening.

“You know when you call 37 people to appear before the House, it will get to a point that even members will just say okay you have come, take a bow and go and that is what we don’t want to do because we want people to be properly screened and those who are qualified to