Kano Govt To Restructure Burnt Market | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Kano Govt To Restructure Burnt Market

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 3:00 am   /   by   /   comments (0)


… KEDCO Denies Responsibility For Incident


The Kano State government will restructure all markets in the state to facilitate improved business transactions as well as stem the reported profile of fire outbreaks in markets across the state.

Governor Abdullahi Ganduje made the announcement on Sunday while receiving the governors of Gombe, Kebbi, Niger, Imo, Borno and Jigawa, who paid him a sympathy visit over Saturday’s fire outbreak at the Sabin Gari market in Kano.

The governor also inaugurated an eight-man emergency advisory committee on the relocation of traders affected by the inferno.

According to Gov Ganduje the restructuring of the markets would involve provision of roads, culverts and fire service points as well as collapsible structures for petty traders.

He disclosed that all wooden structures in the markets would

be replaced with collapsible ones to reduce the chances of fire conflagration and obstacles during emergency, even as the government would also implement some measures to alleviate the sufferings of the victims of the fire to enable them rebuild their lives.

“The programme would include resettling the victims at an appropriate

location to enable them restart their day to day economic endeavours.

“I have already directed Kano Urban Planning Development Authority

(KNUPDA) and the Metropolitan Local Government council chairman to scout for a suitable site to relocate the affected traders for the time being,” the governor said.

He assured that none of the affected traders would lose a place to earn a living and appealed to them to cooperate with the government to find lasting solution to the problem of fire outbreaks in markets.

Ganduje also appealed to the Federal Government and well meaning individuals and groups to support the victims.

He commended the Progressive Governors Forum as well as the Northern Governors Forum for identifying with the government and people of Kano State over the disaster.

Meanwhile, the Kano State Government gave the Alhaji Ali Bagadaza-led emergency committee five days to advise the government on interim measures to relocate the affected traders.

A statement signed by Halilu Dantiye, the Director of Press to the governor said the committee is to sensitise the traders on the government’s plan to sanitise the market to prevent future occurrence.

Meanwhile, Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO), has denied

A statement signed by Malam Abubakar Yusuf, the Chief Customer Relations Officer, said that the feeder line supplying electricity to the market was not on as at the time of the incident.

According to him, the feeder which received supply from Club road had been off since Friday before the fire on Saturday due to load shedding.

“We wish to put the records straight that the fire incidence at Sabin-Gari market never emanated from power spark,” the company said, and added that “It is also on record that the two dedicated transformers supplying

the market are still intact and had no sign of any power surge after the incidence.”

It condemned a statement by an official of the state fire service, linking the fire incident to electrical fault.

“The fire service never called us to alert us of the incident as they normally do when there is a fire outbreak, but unfortunately for us they just went ahead to blame us,” the electricity company added.

It commiserated with the victims, Emir of Kano, and the government and people of the state over the inferno.