How Pro-Biafra Protest Bloody In Rivers | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


How Pro-Biafra Protest Bloody In Rivers

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 3:16 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Daniel Abia,

Port Harcourt

One person was declared dead while two others sustained various degrees of injuries when security agents shot at thousands of pro-Biafran protesters in Port Harcourt, Rivers State capital.

The protesters numbering over 5,000 almost overwhelmed the security operatives including armed soldiers along the Aba/Port Harcourt express way, calling for the “unconditional” release of the director of the Radio Biafra, Nnmadi Kanu, being detained by the Federal Government.

With placards, Biafran flags and green leaves, the protesters demanded the unconditional release of Nnamdi Kanu, the director of Radio Biafra, as well as freedom for the Ndigbo, whom they alleged are marginalized.

Some of the security operatives (Soldiers) started shooting, while policemen threw tear gas canisters at the protesters.

Eyewitness said that some of the protesters picked the tear gas canisters and returned them to the security operatives. He added that one of the protesters was repeatedly shot at, at point blank range but was unhurt.

In the confusion that followed, three persons were shot with live bullets, resulting to one instant death, while two others sustained gunshot wounds and were rushed to the hospital.

The protest disrupted socio-economic activities along the East West Road, and the Eleme Road, which leads to the Port Harcourt Refineries and the Eleme Petrochemical Company.

The protesters blocked the main road leading to the Port Harcourt Refinery at the Eleme Junction axis even though heavily armed security operatives were on patrol of the area.

One of the protesters, who witnessed the shooting said that the security operatives started shooting live bullets shortly after the State commissioner for Police, Musa Kimo addressed policemen, and drove out of the area.

One of the protesters, Madam Juliet, said: “We went there without any intention to cause trouble. We wanted to demand for our freedom, and the release of our Father, Nnamdi Kanu only for soldiers to kneel down, position themselves and started shooting.

“We were all carrying green leaves, which signify peace, but they preferred to shoot and kill us. Of course, we had to defend ourselves by returning the tear gas canisters to them.”

When contacted, the spokesman of the state police command, Ahmad Mohamad, said that nobody was killed during the protest.

He said that there was “no casualty” during the protest.

Reacting to the protest, Governor Nyesom Wike said that the state was totally against it, because it was disrupting commercial activities by the protesters.