Herbalist, Four Others Arrested in Ogun For Alleged kidnap | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Herbalist, Four Others Arrested in Ogun For Alleged kidnap

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 4:41 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Andrew Utulu –  LAGOS


Nemesis has caught up with a herbalist, Mukaila Dauda who was arrested in connection with series of kidnapping going on in Ogun State.

Dauda, a native of Odubotu Compound, Okesopen, Ijebu-Igbo, arrested along with a commercial motorcyclist and three other persons said to be his accomplice and gang members is alleged to be a kingpin of the kidnap syndicate. It was gathered that he is equally an armourer and owns the house where kidnapped victims were kept hostage until ransom are paid.

Four others arrested along with the 46-year-old herbalist, include Ahmed Adebanjo, Tunde Akilo, Sunkanmi Dacosta and Lateef Agboola.

They were arrested by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ogun State Police Command, Imagbon, Abeokuta.  A police source said that “Whenever they wanted to go out for an operation, he (Mukaila Dauda) would make a fire (juju) a day, prior to carrying out the operation to ensure it was successful.

“Whenever the victims were brought, his home was used to keep them, pending payment of ransoms. He owns two double barrel guns, which he gives out to members of his syndicate.  The funniest part of it was that, he never went out with his boys, but he gives out names of prominent persons in Ijebu-Igbo town to his boys to abduct and also, he fortifies them with charms.”

The source added, “When we searched his home located at No. 7, Odubotu Street, Okesopen, Ijebu-Igbo, we recovered two AK-47 rifles, a Pump Action Rifle (PAR), a Berretta Pistol, a cut-to-size locally made short gun and assorted charms.”

The Police source also revealed  that two other persons, Ahmed (alias Soldier), who is the Unit chairman, Okada operators in Omu Eleni, in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun state and Yemi Agboola (alias sakora) are still on the run.

Daily Independent METRO gathered that, at every operation, the herbalist, who is married to two wives with six children, often collects a benchmark of N300, 000 to keep a hostage in his home, excluding his share of proceeds from the ransom.

Dauda in his confessional statement said: “I am an herbalist. I have been doing this job for almost 25 years now. I cure strokes and other ailments.

“Couple of months ago, I began to experience a shortfall in my income, before I came in contact with Tunde Akilo and Sunkanmi Dacosta, who introduced me to kidnap. The first hostage they brought to me and kept for four days in my home was one Chief Alakoso, a prominent businessman in Omu Eleni. The Chief was brought to my home at about 3:30 am sometime in March 2015 and covered with a veil. We collected N2 million, as ransom from him and I collected N300, 000 for using my home to keep him, excluding my own share of the proceeds from the ransom.

“Other operations I could recall include the abduction of two Mama Oniponmo in Ijebu-Igbo. I brought the deals and asked my boys to go after the two Mama Oniponmo. My boys succeeded in abducting them and they were kept in my home, until ransoms were paid.

The 46-year-old herbalist added that “On every operation, I usually collect my own returns, because I am always privy to it.” Ahmed Adesanya, 21-year-old commercial motorcycle operator (Okada rider), an indigene of Omu Eleni who admitted his membership of the gang said: that “On Monday, March 16, 2015 at about 8:00 pm during the annual celebration of Odun Ifa, called ‘Kilajosu’ festival, I received a call from our unit chairman of Okada operators, Ahmed (alias Soldier),asking me to come to Itoikin, Ijebu-Ode/Ikorodu road, Lagos state, with my motorcycle to pick them.

“He told me that their vehicle got spoilt and had its two back tyres punctured.  When I got to scene, I met one Iya Alagbo (woman who sells local herbs), our Okada unit chairman, Ahmed (Soldier), Yemi Agboola and Tunde Akilo inside the car. Four of them, including the Mama Alagbo, except Yemi Agboola took off on my motorcycle. And when we got to Imodi town, we ran into a checkpoint. Tunde Akilo was the first person to be arrested, while the rest of us narrowly escaped through the bush on that night. It was the arrest of Tunde that led to my own arrest and others, too, a week later.”

Tunde Akilo, who is an alleged member of Eiye Confraternity Group also admitted to be involved in various armed robbery operations within the Ijebu axis, apart from kidnapping.

He said he had only taken part in two kidnap operations including the abduction of Chief Alakoso in which he collected N250, 000 and that of Mama Alagbo, which was unsuccessful. He said one Yemi Agboola,  a blood relation to Mama Alagbo “that brought the deal to us to carry out. We trailed the Mama to Itoikin, Ijebu Ode/Ikorodu road, Lagos state at about 7:00 pm on March 16, 2015. And when we approached her that we wanted to buy herbs from her, she told us, she did not have anything on her at that moment, until she returns to Odogbolu, her home town.

“The old woman sensed danger and before she could raise an alarm, we had bundled her inside our vehicle. I had a locally made pistol on me, which I quickly fired into the air in order to scare away whoever might want to accost us in that process. That was how we abducted the woman, but luck ran out on us, as two back tyres of the vehicle suddenly got punctured.”

Lateef Agboola, the owner of the operational car used by the gang denied involvement in kidnapping. According to the 48-year-old suspect, his younger brother, Yemi Agbola (alias sakora), who the police sources at SARS described as a notorious armed robbery and kidnap suspect, buwt still at large, used his Chevrolet Car to abduct the Mama Alagbo at Itoikin.

“Yemi is my younger brother. He called me on phone early on Monday, March 16, 2015 that he wanted to use my car. He said he wanted to drive my car to Omu Eleni, where they were celebrating an annual “Kilajosu” festival. “I gave the car to him, but I asked him to return it very early the following day morning being a Tuesday and he nodded in affirmative.

To my greatest surprise, I was at home at about 9:15 p.m on that fateful day, Monday, March 16, 2015 when I suddenly received some guests, who later introduced themselves as policemen. They asked me to follow them, that my attention was needed at their station. When I got there, I was shown a vehicle, which I later found out to be mine. They showed me the vehicle’s particulars, which bear my name. They asked how my car was used to commit a crime, but I told them, it was my younger brother, Yemi, who borrowed it from me. That was how I became the guest of the police, Yemi has absconded and he is nowhere to be found”, said the suspect, an indigene of Odogbolu, Ogun State.