Gunmen Kill Four Soldiers, One Policeman In Bayelsa | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Gunmen Kill Four Soldiers, One Policeman In Bayelsa

Posted: Aug 8, 2015 at 5:30 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Igoniko Oduma, Yenagoa


Gunmen suspected to be sea pirates on Friday attacked a military checkpoint  at Nembe,  Nembe Local Government Area of Bayelsa State,  killing four soldiers and a mobile policeman.

It was gathered that the slain security operatives were attached to the Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta code-named ‘Operation Pulo Shield’.

The headquarters of the JTF is located in Yenagoa, the state capital.

It was learnt that the bandits stormed the military base stationed at the Nembe water front at  about midnight Friday in four speed boats.

The hoodlums were said to have carted away  four machine guns assigned to the deceased soldiers.

They were also said to have taken away another machine gun that was placed on ‘stand-by’  as well as  collected  rifles in the gunboats occupied by the victims.

Police Public Relations Officer of the Bayelsa Police Command, Asinim Butswat and the joint media co-ordinator of the JTF, Lt. Col Ado Isa, confirmed the incident.

Butswat said: “On August 7, 2015, at about 11:30pm, four speedboats loaded with unknown gunmen, suspected to be sea pirates attacked the Joint Task Force (JTF) Base, at Nembe Water front, in Nembe LGA, killing four soldiers and one policeman. The gunmen carted away two HP Guns and other arms from the base”.

He added that a combined team of the security outfit, the Marine Police Department and the Navy were  combing the creeks to recover the arms and arrest the culprits.

However, Ado said that the JTF was yet to confirm the number of casualties in the attack.

Ado said that troops of the ‘Operation Pulo Shield’ had been placed on red alert as some detachments had been deployed into the creeks to fish out the gunmen.

At the time of this report on Saturday, August 8, 2015, the Bayelsa State government had not issued a statement on the killing of the four army officers and the mobile policeman even as no group had claimed responsibility.