Giwa ‘Takes Over’ NFF, Labels Pinnick Imposter | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

Giwa ‘Takes Over’ NFF, Labels Pinnick Imposter

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 at 5:03 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)



Factional President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Ambassador Chris Giwa, has rubbished the outcome of the Extra-Ordinary Congress of the football body held in Abuja on Wednesday.

Mr Chris Giwa, who recnetly won a court case declaring him the rightful president of the Nigeria  Football Federation (NFF) has formally sent a copy of the court order to Mr Solomun Dalung, minister of sport.

Dalung had earlier in the week said he was yet to receive any court order to the effect that the sitting NFF board, led by Mr Amaju Pinnick, had been removed.

A federal high court in Jos, Plateau State, last week sacked Pinnick and his board and ordered that Giwa and others should take ovcer the affairs of the football body.

Pinnick and his board have announced that they would appeal the ruling.

Giwa also denounced the NFF’s extra-ordinary congress in Abuja on Wednesday, where the contenders for the office were indicted and recommended for sanctions.

In a statement on Thursday, Giwa said that the congress by the Pinnick-led NFF was an aberration of the court ruling that removed them from office.

“It is now a matter of common knowledge that the Federal High Court sitting in Jos vide a ruling made on April 8, 2016, restored all the previous Orders it made in Suit No. FHC/J/CS/77/2014.

“For the avoidance of doubt the restored orders include an order compelling the Honourable Minister of Sports and all the 36 state FAs, including FCT, to give recognition to the board of the NFF, which was elected on August 26, 2014, and restrains them from interfering with the board’s execution of the functions of its officers;

“An order which nullified and set aside the purported Warri election of September 30, 2014, which produced Amaju Pinnick and his purported board;

“It has come to the notice of the board of the NFF that some persons led by Amaju Pinnick are still parading themselves as the board of the NFF in flagrant contempt to the aforesaid orders of the court. They called and held a purported emergency congress of the NFF on April 13, 2016. They even issued a communiqué.

“We hereby advise the general public to disregard the so-called outcome of that illegal and contemptuous emergency congress.

“We however understood the predicament of the Honourable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr. Solomon Dalung, who attended the purported emergency congress because he was not served with the court order of April 8, 2016. May we put it on record that now the Minister has been served.”

Giwa said he would take legal action against Pinnick and others who partook in the congress of Wednesday. He also issued a disclaimer, warning the public not to do any kind of business with the Pinnick-led NFF, as they would be doing s “at their own risk.”