Four Sibblings Die In Anambra Village Fire | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Four Sibblings Die In Anambra Village Fire

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 12:12 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Christian Emeka – Awka


Tragedy has struck in Omuko village, Awka, Awka South Local Government area of Anambra State where four children of same parents were burnt to death by a candle fire that razed their one-room apartment.

The victims are indigenes of Ebonyi State.

The parents of the children were not around when the disaster occurred in the middle of the night. The father was said to have gone for outside work as he is labourer going round for daily paid jobs. He did not return on the day of the incident.

The victims names were given as Ikechukwu Nwoye, aged 9 years, Chinonso Nwoye, aged 7 years, Chisom Nwoye, aged aged 5 years, and Chioma Nwoye.

They were rushed to hospital but did not survive it as they finally gave up the next morning at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi.

Father of the deceased children, Mr. Ozoemena Nwoye, a tenant in the burnt building and a native of Ezaa village, Ebonyi State, confirmed his children were burnt.

He said: “I am so devastated by the fire. I want help from the public. My family has been suffering from one problem to another. We don’t really have any hope right now. We don’t know who to run to. I am appealing to kind-hearted Nigerians to please come to our aid, whatever they can afford to give us, so that we can start to bury our children and settle the hospital bills. I am also calling on our dear Governor Willie Obiano and wife, Chief Mrs Ebelechukwu Obiano, to come and help us”.

Nwoye said although the family lost virtually everything they have labored for over the years, the loss of his children remains the most painful.

Mother of the children, Mrs Ginika Nwoye, said she went to visit her husband’s brother who had a surgical operation following his health condition at Amaku General Hospital, Awka, when the inferno started.

Her words: “I went to visit my brother’s husband who is sick at Amaku Hospital and around 10pm, my neighbours called me on phone and told me that my house was burning and my children were still inside. I rushed back to my house but on getting to my house, the whole thing has happened. My first son Ikechukwu died immediately and other three were burnt close to death, before we rushed them to hospital where they later died”.

Narrating the incident to newsmen in Awka, Mrs Ebere Nwokike, neighbor to the victims whose room was also razed, said she came out from her room around 9pm to urinate and on getting back to she found out that the children left the candle light on and were sleeping.

According to her, she called the senior one Ikechukwu to put the candle off and he woke up and put it off.

But unknown to her, they lighted up the candle again when she had gone back to her room to sleep.

“Before I knew what was happening, I saw flames everywhere and I rushed outside with my child. Before people could notice what was happening in the building it was already too late. People only noticed the incident because of the heavy flames that were coming out of the windows, indicating that the children had already been consumed by the inferno before help could come. Probably, when they were crying for help, nobody heard them,” Nwokike said.

She added that when the door was finally forced open, the burnt bodies of the children were seen together at one corner of the house where they had run to possibly thinking they would be saved there.