Former Chelsea Team Doctor Rejects N344.5m (£1.2m) Settlement | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Former Chelsea Team Doctor Rejects N344.5m (£1.2m) Settlement

Carneiro (left)
Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 3:00 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

Eva Cameiro, the former Chelsea first team doctor, has reportedly rejected a £1.2m settlement from her former employers as shown by documents submitted to her employment tribunal.
Carneiro was last year criticized by Jose Mourinho, the then coach of Chelsea, and dropped from first-team duties after she went on to the pitch to treat Eden Hazard during Chelsea’s opening Premier League game of the 2015-16 season against Swansea.
Afterwards, Mourinho called Dr Carneiro and first team physio, Jon Fearn “impulsive and naive”.
Carneiro did not appear on the bench again for first-team duties and left the club soon after and now the doctor is claiming constructive dismissal against the football club.
The doctor is also bringing a separate legal action against Mourinho, who left Chelsea in December, for alleged victimization and discrimination.
Dr Carneiro’s lawyer said the former Chelsea manager would face at least one day of questions at the hearing in the case that is anticipated to be heard over seven to 10 days at the London South Employment Tribunal in Croydon.
Dr Carneiro’s lawyer, Mary O’Rourke QC, told the hearing that she is likely to take at least a day to cross-examine Mourinho – now manager of Manchester United – who did not attend the first day of the case. The tribunal was adjourned to today.
Legal papers submitted to the tribunal on behalf of Chelsea FC and Mourinho showed that Dr Carneiro had been “made an open offer of £1.2m to settle her claims”.
The football club’s legal team said it would show the club had taken these steps only because it believed that it was “in no-one’s interests that this dispute should be determined through litigations”.