Fire Outbreak Hits 370 Female Students At YABATECH | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Lagos, Metro

Fire Outbreak Hits 370 Female Students At YABATECH

Posted: Nov 24, 2016 at 1:14 am   /   by   /   comments (0)




LAGOS  – No fewer than 370 female students of Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) Lagos, suffered various degrees of post incident trauma, following the fire outbreak that hit Bakassi female hostel where valuables worth millions of naira were reduced to ashes by the inferno.


Metro gathered that the early morning inferno which occurred at a wing of the top floor of a two-story building started at about 5.20 a.m, when the school generator was switched on after a power outage from DISCO.


When one of our correspondents visited the campus, an unidentified female student was seen rushed to the college clinic on a motorbike, while her traumatised colleagues ran after the bike in the direction of the clinic.


Scores of students, who are still traumatised as a result of the fire outbreak that completely destroyed the topmost part of the female hall, were seen lamenting over huge losses suffered in the inferno.


It was gathered that six students sustained severe injuries as a result of commotion that ensued when the inferno started and were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Yaba and the General Hospital, Randle Avenue, Surulere.


Consequently, authorities of the institution have suspended all academic activities till further notice following the inferno that destroyed 27 rooms occupied by a total of 370 female students of the college.


Dr Margaret Ladipo, the Rector of the college has however appealed to the college community to remain calm, promising that the management would find ways of soothing the pains inflicted by the fire outbreak.


A statement issued by Dr. Charles Oni, head, public relations unit of the college quoted the rector as saying that “sequel to the unfortunate fire incident at the Bakassi hostel early this morning, the management has suspended all academic activities till further notice.”


Also, Dr Ismail Badmus, head, department of fire service for the college told newsmen that no life was lost, adding, “There was no life lost, but there were some injuries.


“We lost a lot of students’ items like laptops, phones, books and mattresses. You know it is residential hostel; many combustibles are there, which readily catch fire,” he added.


Ibrahim Farinloye, spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) for south-west in a text message to Metro said emergency rescue officials arrived the college on time to tackle salvage the situation.


Farinloye mentioned officials of the Lagos state emergency management agency, fire fighters from UNILAG and Yabatech as well as the police as some of the rescue officials that arrived the college to tackle the inferno.