Boko Haram Strikes At Sallah, Kills 14, Injures 18 In Yobe | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Boko Haram Strikes At Sallah, Kills 14, Injures 18 In Yobe

Posted: Jul 17, 2015 at 11:54 am   /   by   /   comments (0)


By Celestine Amoke and Valentine Amanze, Lagos

Two explosions early this Friday morning, July 17, 2015, rocked Damaturu, Yobe State, ahead of today’s Sallah celebration, leaving 14 dead and 18 hospitalised.

It was gathered that two female suicide bombers exploded explosive devices at two locations by 8.m. when the Muslim faithful were preparing for Sallah prayers.

The incidents occurred at Gwanje Ward and Njiwaji area claiming 14 lives including the two female suicide bombers while as many as 18 persons were injured.

People have since deserted the areas while a detachment of policemen had been dispatched to the areas.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Yobe Police Command, ASP Toyin Gbagedesin, who confirmed the incidents said residents were on Thursday, July 16,2015, warned to stay indoors.

He said vehicular movements were also banned in the state in a bid to forestall any eventuality during the Sallah celebrations.

A resident of Damaturu who does not want his name in print said that fear has gripped citizens as no one knows when and where they would strike again even with the presence of heavy security.

Another resident lamented that  the Boko Haram attack has taken the shine off the Sallah celebration as it happened at the time of going to praying ground.

Meanwhile, the police have advised residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious movements or strange persons to the security agencies.

It would be recalled that two explosions had rocked the Gombe Central Market at the state capital on Thursday.

However, no casualties were recorded as at the time of the report.