Female Suicide Bomber, 10, Kills Nine, Injures 27 In Yobe | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Female Suicide Bomber, 10, Kills Nine, Injures 27 In Yobe

Posted: May 16, 2015 at 5:02 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

•Boko Haram Overruns Borno Town


By Ejikeme Omenazu, Lagos

AT least seven people have been killed in an attack carried out by a female suicide bomber in the capital of northern Nigeria’s Yobe State, Damaturu, on Saturday, May 16, 2015.

The 10-year-old bomber hit the popular Bayan Tasha market/ motor park in Damaturu, the state capital, during a busy period.

According to an eyewitness, “Security men at the entry and exit of the park were conducting search on both commuters and traders, when a girl of around 10 years refused to be searched.

“In a twinkle of an eye, the girl detonated the bomb concealed under her Hijab, killing her, the security agent and other persons while many others injured”.

Security agents also discovered three IED cylinders that were later removed by the anti-bomb squad of the Nigerian police before the place was condoned off.

As at the time of filling this report, medical and security personnel were busy evacuating victims to the hospital.

In another development, the Boko Haram terrorists has run over Marte, a town north of Maiduguri in Borno State, Marte, and reportedly recaptured the city, security sources said.

According to the source, the terrorists came from their Sambisa Forest camps and some other places in Borno State to launch the attack on Marte on Friday May, 15, 2015.

The Borno State Deputy Governor, Zannah Mustapha, confirmed the attack and ‘recapture’ of Marte at a press conference in Maiduguri on Friday.

“It is sad as we have been made to understand that Marte is today (Friday) completely fallen under the control of the insurgents, which to us is a very huge setback,” Mustapha said.

He added that, according to security reports, 600 women and girls had been dispatched by the sect as suicide bombers with the aim of causing multiple explosions in Maiduguri.

He said: “It is unfortunate that we are experiencing yet another attack in Maiduguri at this time that we are thinking that the insurgency should have subsided, following the taking over of Sambisa Forest by the military.

“Our thinking was that every other place should have been blocked so that the insurgency would be contained in a restricted area. But that has not been the case, because the insurgents have been fleeing to other communities.

“Initially, we were opposed to the suggestion made by the military, but when we received a security report that about 600 women have been kitted as suicide bombers and are to be sneaked into Maiduguri during the attack, couple with the gory pictures of some of the women, who detonated themselves during the attack, we had no option than to okay the curfew.

“But the curfew has been relaxed from noon to about 5pm to ease the hardship and afterwards it may be reviewed.

“Our government is going to do everything humanly possible by supporting the military to see that Maiduguri and other secured parts of Borno State is not attacked or taken over by the insurgents.

“We want people to be patient with the government and the security; though 90 per cent of our communities have been liberated but the war is not over yet.

“We though all is over as we were even trying to fight for the reopening of the airport, which was almost okayed by the National Security Adviser before we heard about the attack on Maiduguri. It was indeed a huge setback for us in Borno State.”