El-Rufai To Yero: Prepare For Probe Over N2.7b SURE-P Fund | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


El-Rufai To Yero: Prepare For Probe Over N2.7b SURE-P Fund

Posted: May 18, 2015 at 2:28 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)

Kaduna State Governor-elect, Nasir el-Rufai, on Monday said his administration would probe the utilisation of the state’s N2.7 billion allocation from the Federal Government through the Subsidy Reinvestment Programme (SURE-P).

El-Rufai, through a statement by his media aide, Samuel Aruwan, said attempts by Governor Mukhtar Yero to secure the approval of the House of Assembly to withdraw the money would have serious consequences.

“I have been aware of desperate attempts to secure approval to spend N2.744 billion SURE-P funds less than two weeks to its (state government) exit and to spend 50 percent of the money on the Kawo Road project while the 23 local government councils will share the balance.

“As Governor-elect, it is my duty to caution every official involved in these last-minute deals that the incoming government will ensure that there are consequences for illegal conduct, breach of trust and stealing of public assets.

“While I await the formal submission of the committee’s report, I am compelled to publicly affirm that we cannot and will not turn a blind eye to bad behaviour,” el-Rufai said.

Last week, Yero forwarded a request to the Kaduna State House of Assembly to approve the release of the money to complete ongoing projects across the councils.

However, 14 members of the Assembly kicked against the move on Friday, vowing to frustrate the effort.

The Deputy Minority leader, Aminu Shagali, claimed at a press conference that the lawmakers have resolved not to approve the proposal.