Confusion In Nasarawa Over N4.3bn Bailout Fund | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

Confusion In Nasarawa Over N4.3bn Bailout Fund

Posted: Apr 26, 2016 at 7:53 pm   /   by   /   comments (0)
Michael David
There was confusion on Tuesday over the alleged diversion of N4.9 bailout fund, which Nasarawa State accessed to offset arrears of salaries and wages of workers with many calling for independent probe.
The confusion was coming barely few days after the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) indicted the state government for not judiciously utilising the N8.9 billion it received as bailout fund from the Federal Government.
In a report published by the ICPC, the anti-graft agency stated that the state received N8.9 billion in two tranches of N3.9 and N4.3 billion as bailout fund but only disbursed N3.9 billion with a balance of N4.3 billion.
However, Tijani Ahmed, the state commissioner for local government and chieftaincy affair, had during a press conference in Lafia declined comments on the bailout fund but claimed that part of the fund given to local governments of the state by the governor was used to offset two and a half months salaries arrears of council workers.
As result, a source told our correspondent, that top shots of the state government had been holding close door meetings with Dr. Dominic Bako, the state commissioner for finance, in the past two days to map out their defence in the light of the ICPC indictment over the N4.3 billion missing bailout fund.
Moreover, efforts by a team of journalists to get reactions from either the finance commissioner or Musa Darda’u, the Accountant General of the state, over the missing N4.3 billion bailout fund proved abortive.
Whereas the finance commissioner simply detailed his office secretary to ask the journalists to go as he was too busy to attend to them, the state Accountant General said that he had no authority to speak on the bailout fund.