Boko Haram Launches Fresh Attacks in N’east | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

News

Boko Haram Launches Fresh Attacks in N’east

terrorism, boko haram, B'haram
Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 4:15 am   /   by   /   comments (0)
The Islamist terrorist sect, Boko Haram, have embarked on fresh wave of attacks in the North East part, setting off two bombs and killing no fewer than nine people yesterday in Maiduguri, Borno State.
The Nigerian Army on has confirmed the incident, coming on the heels of a deadly swoop on a troop of Nigerian soldiers who had been stationed at an outpost in Gashigar, Borno State, near the border with Niger.
No fewer than 83 soldiers were discovered to have gone missing after the attack, while some who ran away from the superior fire power of the insurgents escaped into Niger. Also the Commanding Officer of 223 Tank Battalion in Gashigar, who was identified as K. Yusuf, a lieutenant colonel, got missing during the attack.
The new wave of attacks has caused serious concern in the top echelon of the country’s security command.
This is because the upsurge of the attacks was coming even before the euphoria of the release of 21 Chibok girls by the terrorists to the Nigerian government had died down.
Boko Haram leaders recently engaged in negotiation with the Nigerian government which led to the release of 21 of the over 200 girls kidnapped from Chibok, Borno State, in April 2014.
Prior to the release of the Chibok girls, the terrorist sect had broken into two factions with long-time chief, Abubakar Shekau, leading one while the son of the late founder, Abu Musab Al-Barnawi, is leading the other.
It would be recalled that Islamic state (ISIS) militant group had early in August, appointed Al-Barnawi as the head of Boko Haram, a decision which was vehemently rejected by Shekau.
Independent sources hinted that the resurgence of violent attacks could be as a result of bitter rivalry between the factions in the sect, especially considering that the deal for the release of the Chibok girls must have been struck with the faction that had their custody.
A security source told Independent that the faction that was not involved in the negotiations for truce and release of the abducted Chibok girls might be the one launching recent attacks to further put pressure on the Nigerian government and upset the military, which had claim substantial success over the degrading of the terrorists sect.
The Deputy Director, Army Public Relations Department, Col. Mustapha Anka, confirmed the killing of at least nine persons in the twin blasts that occurred in Maiduguri in the early hours of yesterday.
Anka said that the blast occurred at the Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp and the NNPC fuel station along Damboa road.
In a statement issued after the attack, the Army states that, “At about 7.05 a.m. this morning, there were twin simultaneous suicide bomb explosions at the entrance of Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp and NNPC Mega Filling Station, Damboa Road, Maiduguri.
“At the Bakassi IDPs camp, a suspected female suicide bomber ran into a group of men and women at the entrance while they were coming out of the camp, killing 5 men and injuring 11 women.
“The bodies of the dead men and the injured women have been evacuated.
“At the NNPC, a female suicide bomber followed a fuel tanker in Keke NAPEP tricycle with the sole aim of gaining entry to cause maximum damage and casualty but was prevented from gaining access to the station by another vehicle.”
According to him, the suicide bomber exploded killing the three occupants of the tricycle with no report of injuries.
He said that the Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC), Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu, had already visited the scene to get first class information.
“The Acting GOC 7 Division has already visited the place and appealed to the people to be calm as concerted efforts were on to ensure the safety of lives and property.
“Troops and security agencies have been mobilised and the injured have been evacuated while efforts are ongoing to comb the general area as well as entries and exits of Maiduguri.”
“While we commiserate with the families of the late victims of this cruel act and wish those injured speedy recovery, we would like to assure the public that efforts are ongoing to track those behind the dastardly acts.
“However, it is equally important to reiterate the need for more vigilance and security consciousness among all. Citizens are enjoined to report any suspicious persons or movements to the security agencies,”
he said.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), in a statement, has also confirmed the killing of nine persons in the Maiduguri blasts yesterday.
NEMA spokesman, Sani Datti, said nine persons were killed and 24 persons injured and evacuated to various hospitals from the explosion scenes in Maiduguri.
The insurgency, which began in 2009, has left approximately 20,000 people dead and millions of local residents displaced from their communities.