Authorities Shut Down YABATECH Over Student Protest | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Authorities Shut Down YABATECH Over Student Protest

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 11:47 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Oyeniran Akpata


In an apparent move to forestall further breakdown of law and order within its campus and neighbouring communities following students protest on Wednesday over the death of a female student, academic activities at the Yaba College of Technology (YabaTech) have been suspended for four weeks.

The Management of the 69 year old institution explained that the forced holiday was meant to allow the school authorities and students mourn the death of Miss Comfort Dazan who kicked the bucket on Wednesday morning, as well as to prevent further damage of properties in the institution.

It will be recalled that following Dazan’s death, students had embarked on a violent protest on Wednesday morning, resulting in the destruction of property at the medical centre.

Unconfirmed accounst also had it that the enraged students manhandled the Rector, Dr. Margaret Ladipo for being insensitive to the plight of students.

Spokesman of the Polytechnic, Mr. Charles Oni, explained that the school directed students to vacate halls of residence by noon yesterday and pledged to attend to other issues and requests by the students in due course.

Dissatisfied at the turn of event, the students requested that they be allowed to mourn their deceased colleagues on campus for two weeks, leading to another peaceful protest yesterday which was promptly brought under check by security operatives.

The statement read in part: “The rector, management and the members of staff sympathize with the family of the deceased student and entire student body over the unfortunate incident. The late Dazan, a student in the Office Technology Management Department was a sickle cell anaemia patient.

She developed a crisis in the afternoon of Tuesday, February 9, 2016 and was temporarily on admission at the college medical centre under the close watch of the centre’s management.

The statement added, “She was however discharged when her condition became stable, so she could prepare for her practical examination Wednesday, February 10, 2016.

The practical examination began round the college last Monday as a precursor to the main general examination earlier scheduled for Monday, February 15.”

Oni explained further that Dazan’s crisis relapsed around midnight and her roommate rushed her back to the medical centre where precautionary medical attention was given to her pending referral to the Federal Medical Centre at Ebute Metta as soon as day broke.

“She was being conveyed to the Federal Medical Centre early Wednesday morning when she gave up the ghost. Students immediately cashed in on the death of Dazan to engage in an opportunistic clamour for the extension of the semester for two weeks.

“Unfortunately, many students do not prepare for examinations until such examinations are a week or three days away and customarily, they always plead for extensions until the management put a stop to such opportunism about two years ago.

The hydra-headed clamour sprang up again Wednesday because of the death of Miss. Dazan,” the college added.