Army Might Rescue Chibok Girls Soon As ‘Operation Crackdown’ Advances Into Sambisa | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe

Latest News

Army Might Rescue Chibok Girls Soon As ‘Operation Crackdown’ Advances Into Sambisa

Nigerian Army 1
Posted: May 6, 2016 at 1:50 pm   /   by   /   comments (1)




The long-awaited rescue of the over 200 Chibok schoolgirls might be near, or might have taken place unknown to manym even their rescuers, the Nigerian Army.

This is because troops have made huge gains in the fight against the Boko Haram terrorist group which has its dtronghold in Sambisa forest, Borno State, the same place where it is believed the Chibok girls are held.

The Nigerian Army said on Friday said that troops in the counter-terrorism push in the North-East killed 13 Boko Haram fighters and recovered arms and ammunition in its now intensified onslaught, code-named Operation Crackdown, to completely wipe out the killer sect from Sambisa forest.

Speaking to the press in Maiduguri, Borno State, Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor, Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, said: “In our continued efforts to clear the remnants of Boko Haram from the North-East, I am glad to inform you that our gallant troops have continued their transverse into Sambisa forest under Operation Crackdown on Boko Haram.

“During the advance, our troops made substantial gains, destroying many terrorists’ locations thereby freeing some hostages,” he said.

Between April 28 and May 3, 2016, troops cleared many villages of Boko Haram insurgents, including Marcas 1 and Marcas 2 villages.

“Troops went on long-range rescue mission in the forest and during the mission many young girls and women were rescued.

“Profiling and interrogation is ongoing, and among those rescued are two Cameroonians.

“About 300 herds of cattle that were rustled by Boko Haram were recovered and handed over to their owners after investigations.

“We have also made fresh arrests of persons who have been supplying fuel and other logistics to the terrorists,” Irabor said.

He said that the troops, however, suffered a few setbacks mainly due to improvised explosive devise (IED) attacks.

“Our troops are intact, we have had a few unfortunate incidents, which were those of IEDs and of course gunshot wounds leading to the death of two soldiers.

“For the terrorists, we killed 13 and recovered a good number of equipment like mortar, bombs, and vehicles, most of which are unserviceable. So far, one of our vehicles was damaged by an IED.

“Along the Alagarno axis, troops have continued to clean up the place and several discoveries were made. On May 4, Boko Haram administrative base was discovered.

“The discovery made in the place included a field hospital as well as an IED factory,” he said.

Comments (1)

  • May 6, 2016 at 2:16 pm ChukwuMichael3

    These are those who shoot guns with their mouths. May God forgive you all for lying to the country.

Comments are closed.