Abducted Bayelsa council boss regains freedom | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


Abducted Bayelsa council boss regains freedom

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 2:00 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

By Igoniko Oduma / Yenagoa


The chairman of Ogbia Local Government Council of Bayelsa State, Enaye Abah who was abducted about five days ago has regained his freedom.

It was gathered that he was released on Sunday by the four-man gang that kidnapped him along the Okarki-Otuasega axis of the Yenegwe-Kolo-Nembe Road in the state.

Abah’s assailants, who were armed to the teeth, had intercepted his Prado Jeep vehicle at a road block they mounted along the road last Wednesday.

No sooner had his police orderly alighted from the vehicle to find out why the road was blocked than the bandits struck, firing gun shots before they dragged him into a blue Mazda car and sped away.

Abah’s police orderly, it was learnt, abandoned his principal and fled into a nearby bush without firing a shot.

The hoodlums were said to have escaped with the victim through Okarki through Abua area in neighbouring Rivers State in a speed boat.

A member of the family, who pleaded anonymity, had claimed that the council boss was on his way to attend a stakeholders’ meeting at Ogbia Town, headquarters of Ogbia Council, when he was abducted.

He said it was being suspected that the kidnappers may have been given information on the chairman’s itinerary before they mounted the road block ahead of his arrival at the point of kidnap.

Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the Bayelsa Police Command, Asinim Butswat, confirmed the release of Abah to our correspondent on Monday.

He said the kidnappers abandoned him at 8:45pm on Sunday at Ogonokom in Abua/Odual Local Government Area of Rivers State after they were closed-in by a combined team of anti-kidnapping squads from Rivers and Bayelsa commands.

“The chairman (of Ogbia council) is in good health and has since re-united with his family”, said Butswat who added that no arrests had been made over the incident.

But a close family source, who did not want to be named, revealed that an undisclosed sum of money was paid to secure Abah’s release.