FG Makes U-turn On Planned Retirement In Paramilitary Agencies | Independent Newspapers Limited
Newsletter subscribe


FG Makes U-turn On Planned Retirement In Paramilitary Agencies

recession, buhari, FG, budget
Posted: Jul 18, 2016 at 6:23 am   /   by   /   comments (0)

Tony Ezimakor

Abuja – The Federal Government may have soft-pedaled on its planned retirement of officers and men of the various paramilitary agencies under the Ministry of Interior.

Independent had exclusively reported the planned massive retirement which had been communicated via a directive dated May 25, 2016, and signed by A. A Abdullahi, Secretary of the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board (CDFIPB).

It also had the approval of the Minister of Interior, Retired Brig. Gen. Abdulrahman Danbazzau.

Its purpose was to expand “parameters for retirement of officers and men” in the employment of agencies under the supervision of the board.

These agencies are Immigration, Prisons, Fire and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

Among such expanded parameters is age-on-rank condition, requiring that officers exit the service if they failed to attain certain ranks within a given age bracket, a condition that was alien to the civil service through which they joined the services.

If implemented, over fifty percent of officers in the paramilitary agencies would have their careers cut short due to no fault of theirs.

But Comptroller General of Immigration Service, Mohammed Babandede, disclosed that the CDFIPB had accepted representations made to it by the various services.

In a recent chat with journalists, the CGI said implementing the new parameters would amount to changing the goal post at the middle of a soccer game, which he said would not augur well for all concerned.

“That directive has been withdrawn. We (the services) argued with the board that it would not be possible to implement it considering the terms of employment of the officers and men currently serving in the agencies.”

He, however, said that the age-on-rank condition would be effected in new recruitment conducted by all the agencies.

On the contentious Nigeria Immigration Service recruitment which has since been declared illegal by government, the CGI maintained that the process followed by the presidential committee was contrary to the Act setting up the CDFIPB board.

However, he reasoned that since the offence could be blamed on the job seekers who had already been mobilized on the basis of the faulty recruitment, the NIS would find a way to accommodate those who are qualified.

“Those recruited came and I told them why their recruitment was illegal. The then President set up a committee under the then secretary to the government of the federation to “assist CDFIPB board to look at what happened that led to death of job seekers. The word was to assist but that committee assisted and carried out the recruitment.

“If you see the term of reference it was very clear, to assist, but they went ahead, created a web site, collected a lot of money without allowing the board to participate.

“Legally, it remains illegal but what do you do you do to Nigerians who are looking for job?

“Do you know that the board refused to talk to that committee. Only immigration at that time, under CG Paradang directed the DCG who was to issue letters to junior officers and some senior officers and they issued letters to them.

“But up till the time I left I have not seen the file and the directive to issue letters, bring me the file, no records,” stated Babandede.

The CGI argued that the letters issued by the committee, where they exist, are illegal.

But he quickly added that the affected job seekers would be regularized, subject to availability of vacancy and budget for recruitment.

Also, those to be recruited must be qualified based on new conditions approved by government among them, a verified certificate, pass of security clearance, drug test as well as the newly introduced age-on-rank, he said.